This blog is mainly about Java...

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Ubuntu Hardy for parents

A few months ago I installed Ubuntu Hardy on my newly purchased HP laptop for my mom. My parents have no clue with using computers and I was fed up with frequent calls about viruses, slow computer and stuff like that. Obviously they used Windows XP, so when my mom announced she wanted a new laptop I installed a dual boot for her. She didn't want to only have Ubuntu because she was sceptic, which I can understand. I asked my step dad if he wanted me to do the same for his laptop, but he respectfully declined.

However after a few months of using Ubuntu my mom really loves it. I no more get calls with virus, slow computer, and other miscellaneous windows stuff. They especially love the games that come out of the box on Ubuntu, and now my step dad has asked me to install Ubuntu on his laptop as well :-)

My mom is still using Vista once in a while for stuff that is not working out of the box on Ubuntu, such as copying pictures and videoes from her Nokia to the computer. But when I fix these small issues that come along, then hopefully she will one day convert totally and never use Windows Vista again.

No comments:

Labels